Job vacancy: Senior Humanitarian Policy Officer, ICVA
Founded in 1962, the International Council of Voluntary Agencies (ICVA) is a global network of non-governmental organisations whose mission is to make humanitarian action more principled and effective by working collectively and independently to influence policy and practice. Humanitarian policy and advocacy are part of ICVA’s core work as sharing views and collective NGO voices help to shape humanitarian practice. For the period 2012-2014, ICVA’s strategic objective is to consolidate its position as an NGO leader in global humanitarian policy and advocacy.
For its Geneva-based Secretariat ICVA is seeking to recruit a
Senior Humanitarian Policy Officer
The Senior Policy Officers play a pivotal role in discharging ICVA’s policy and advocacy mandate on behalf of ICVA’s member agencies. The Geneva-based Senior Policy Officer is responsible for supporting the implementation of the 2012-2014 Strategic Plan, in particular with regards to the policy and advocacy priorities. S/He delivers high quality products that help ICVA maintain its leading role in humanitarian policy and advocacy.
Place in the Organisation:
The Senior Policy Officer reports to the Executive Director. S/He works closely with ICVA’s Senior Policy Officer, who will be based in New York as of 1 July 2012, and the Project Coordinator for the NGOs and Humanitarian Reform Project Phase II. S/He supervises an Associate Policy Officer.
- S/He is responsible for developing (new) policy directions, based on sound analysis and a thorough understanding of the collective knowledge and views of ICVA’s membership and operational contexts.
- S/He is responsible for identifying trends and issues, as well as for providing strategic thinking and leadership, on ICVA’s humanitarian policy and advocacy work in particular related to forced displacement and refugee issues;
- S/He ensures that ICVA has a consistent, high-quality engagement with the international bodies and forums in which ICVA participates;
- S/He is responsible for maintaining close relations with UNHCR and other relevant UN agencies and bodies, as well as Geneva-based diplomatic missions;
- S/He actively participates in, and contributes to, ICVA’s general (policy) work;
- S/He contributes to the further development of ICVA’s vision and strategic directions; and
- S/He is the line manager for the Associate Policy Officer.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Advanced university degree in international law, international relations, or related academic field;
- A minimum of ten years’ working experience in the area of humanitarian action, including in situations of forced displacement and/or in relation to protection and refugee issues;
- Extensive experience in working with, or relating to, organisations and actors who work in the field of humanitarian action, including forced displacement;
- Demonstrated experience and skills in formulating NGO views and statements on humanitarian issues and representing these views in international forums;
Competencies and Skills:
- Leadership skills and pro-actively identify opportunities for ICVA to leverage its policy and advocacy work;
- Exceptional team-player who builds strong relations in collaborating with members, the ICVA Board, and secretariat colleagues, and manages relations with diverse stakeholders;
- Quick analytical thinker who understands contextual developments and refers to the (potential) implications for ICVA and the membership;
- Well-developed communication, presentation, advocacy, and representational skills appropriate for different audiences, including the ability to influence people;
- Proven ability to work under pressure and be flexible, including the ability to cope with deadlines, multiple tasks, and competing and changing demands; and who sets her/himself and others challenging, but realistic targets;
- Expert understanding of the current humanitarian issues and debates;
- Ability to contribute to ICVA’s mission and strategic directions; and
- Excellent oral and written English, fluency in French is desirable.
A full Job Description is available on the What’s New page of the ICVA website (www.icva.ch) for more details.
A cover letter and CV should be sent to <firstname.lastname@example.org> indicating “Senior Policy Officer” in the subject line. The deadline for applications is **19 April 2012.**
Interviews will be held in the last week of April 2012. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.