'Working with Separated Children in the Asylum System' - Refugee Council Conference 2012
Our annual conference 'Working with separated children in the asylum system' will be held on October 10th 2012 in London.
The conference will combine guest speakers and practical expert sessions, ensuring the conference is relevant, informative and practical.
- Lisa Killham, UKBA Childrens Champion - 'UKBA’s approach to children – overview and future plans'
- A young person - The experience of being a separated child in the system
- Nadine Finch, Barrister, Garden Court Chambers - will present key findings and recommendations from forthcoming UNHCR /UNICEF guidance on the best interests of children
- Nev Jeffries, British Red Cross, Head International Tracing and Message Services - How to help children restore links with family whilst ensuring their safety.
- Prof Ravi Kohli, Prof of Child Welfare, University of Bedfordshire - final speaker of the day, theme to be confirmed
The Expert Sessions, which will focus on 4 topics, are outlined below and delegates can attend 2 of the sessions:
1. Age Assessment - How to make your age assessment lawful and achieve best practice - expert tbc
2. Trafficked Children - Identifying and safeguarding trafficked children - Mike Hand, Tactical Adviser, UK Human Trafficking Centre
3. Preparing a Human Rights Assessment for refused young people - with expert Zubier Yazdani, Pierce Glynn Solicitors
4. Making decisions on children’s asylum claims - with expert Ruth Hadland, UKBA, Regional Corporate Partner Lead - UASC's & Vulnerable Adults
Full programme and registration information available at http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/eventsandtraining/conferences/2012Conference